Followers

Thursday, November 7, 2013

TMI - AN EXPLANATION IN AN EXCLAMATION


“If you reveal your secrets to the wind, you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.” Khalil Gibran

Yesterday, in haste, I posted a blog called “Smile, You’re on Candid Camera.” I thought it was brilliant. I felt really good posting it and just loved the sarcasm it oozed. Well, I admit, I suppose, it was a “vent” blog. I am kinda new to this blogging stuff. With anything new, there is a learning curve, and I am learning there is a fine line a writer can cross when trying to share experiences by channeling emotions which can sometimes be very personal. As humorous as it may have been, perhaps I crossed that TMI line. Thank goodness for the “delete” button and some blunt honesty from the ones that love me.

My dad was very quiet about it. TMI.

My brother was laughing up a storm. “It was hilarious! So entertaining!”

“I know! I said. “I thought it was funny too.”

To which my brother quickly responded, “At your expense. Kind of like Jerry Springer.”

Well I could toss in the towel and begin the whole to blog or not to blog question, but I am not going to do that; it’s redundant and beating a dead horse is mean. I will take the criticism, stare it in the face, and try, try again!!

I don’t know exactly who or how many people read what I post but a good rule of thumb would be for anyone who writes: do you want your kids or your parents to read this; or your boss, your husband, your ex, the President? The answer to that question in regards to the posting I deleted was a NEGATIVE. Delete!

As a side note, this was not my first, or second bout of criticism. And as a side note, I am a very sensitive person so criticism is a tough pill to swallow. But blowing smoke up my trunk is not helpful either. I’ve got my big girl panties on, show me whatcha got! But do be kind and gentle.

For instance, my elder cousin gave some constructive criticism regarding my profile picture. “What's up with the Avataresque photo. You are one of the most beautiful women I know…Just saying.”

I wasn’t upset and in fact, I could totally see what he was talking about. My profile photo is very Avataresque. Even my dad commented that I looked distorted in the picture. My plan when I posted the picture was not to look like a blue alien. I thought the photo was very euphoric looking, painted a profile of a very chill and laid back chick, apropos for a blog writer. The shot was taken on my birthday, I was at a John Mayer concert, tail-gated probably more than I should have and….

Wait, did I just commit TMI again?   

8 comments:

  1. Hi
    Welcome to the wonderful world of blogging - you wont regret it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What she (Lanthie) said!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your blogs, however, I compared you to Howard Stern. You keep reading because you don't know what is going to come out next.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought Jerry Springer had more effect. I used poetic license. And truly, if I sounded like Howard Stern, I should have kept it. I love Howard! And, yes you did say that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can't take it personally when people criticize your writing. It isn't possible to please everyone. Write what you need to say and let the chips fall where they may.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree but I'll still use my dad as a sounding block. He likes that we're bonding.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think most of us have posted... an later removed... a post or two, or ten, along the way. Sometimes in the heat of the emotion it feels so good to spill it all out, then later the light dawns and often the silence from usual commenters is deafening. I missed this one, and I'm sorry I did. I most likely would have laughed, knowing that it was likely to be on the short-term view list. Never give up blogging because of a misstep or two, it takes years to learn to upset your readers on a fairly regular basis and still keep them as devoted followers... as your dad for confirmation on that! :-)

    ReplyDelete